Thanks for Showing Up!

I know that there are lots of important places on the web where you could be. This isn't one of the nicest or most thought provoking but it is a place where you can find balance in your daily life. So take some time away from a hectic world and spend some time adding stability to your day.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Cup Half Full?

A number of years ago, I had a friend that was the eternal pessimist. The minute I ran into him he began telling me about all the bad things that were happening, what was wrong with his life, and what was wrong in the world. Actually, this person was more of an acquaintance that seemed to cling to me like a leach. The funny thing is he was also a pastor. I told Peggy that every time I was around him I felt like a vampire had sucked me dry. Thirty minutes with this guy and I was a shriveled up prune.

The problem with this pastor friend is that he was a glass half empty kind of guy. He looked at his life, his family, his ministry, and the world through a lens that only showed him the negatives. He never saw the good in anything or anyone. He only saw what was wrong and he was more than willing to share his pessimism. Now, I am a fixer at heart and wanted to help this guy to change his perspective. So I made it my mission to point out a good thing for every bad thing he mentioned. I was bound and determined to change his way of thinking. Do you know what happened? He stopped hanging around me. I guess he didn't like my optimism. 

Thanksgiving is a time to see the glass as half full. There is not a doubt in my mind that we can all come up with things to gripe about. There are plenty of bad thing in this world and in our lives that we could spend our time focusing on. But why? What good does complaining do? Do we just like to be down in the mouth? Or is it our goal to make everyone around us miserable too? It seems to me like seeing the glass as half empty is a futile and a waste of time. I have yet to see my complaining amount to any change. But my thankfulness makes a difference.

Here is what I believe. The main thing that is changed, by my seeing the glass half empty or the glass half full, is me. The world is not changed by my perspective. My complaining doesn't make the world any better. And my thankfulness doesn't make the world any worse. But my attitude does affect me. If I want to go around complaining, griping, and whining, I will just feel miserable because of my attitude. I may even make others miserable in the process. But, if I decide to be thankful in any and every situation, I will feel better and maybe improve the quality of another person's day. Hebrews 12:28 says, "Since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful!" As Christians, we are going to inherit a kingdom set up by our heavenly father. And that kingdom cannot be shaken. I have a reason to be thankful. I get a heavenly home.

I wonder if we will celebrate Thanksgiving in heaven? If we did, some may still have things to complain about. "Turkey for the 1,247th year in a row! Why can't we have ham! No devil's food cake!" Hopefully not. How about this Thanksgiving we get truly thankful for what we have, who we are spending it with, and what the future holds. The glass if half full! Maybe the glass if overflowing because Jesus loves you. And I think that is more than enough reason to be thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Pastor Aaron

1 comment:

  1. There isn't room for me to list ALL the things I am thankful for in my life. God has done some amazing things for me, in me, through me...despite of me! It is often said that each of us is his/her own worst enemy, and I am no different. There is a poster in my office that says, "If you can't change it; change how you look at it." Along with the quote is a picture of two glasses: one 1/2 full and the other 1/2 empty. You are probably thinking, "well, then, it is a picture of the same glass twice." Yet, each time I look at this poster, I know which glass is 1/2 empty and which glass is 1/2 full. It never changes. The 1/2 empty glass is the "me" before I gave up my personal control and allowed God to guide me. This was not easy because I have been a Christian since a very young age. For many years, I thought if I gave up my ability to try and control things then others would say I never knew Christ in the first place. That is hardly the case! I have always had an open relationship with God; I just didn't always listen. (I know this shocks those of you that know me :) )

    The glass 1/2 full is how I view myself now. I am 1/2 full of all the wonderful things that God will do in my life because HE IS NOT FINISHED WITH ME YET! For that, I am eternally grateful. Are all my days perfect...absolutely not, but that's ok. It is too easy to speak about the problems in the world so deal with where you are in the present. Let your past go. Deal with where you are right this very minute and always look forward to the future. If you have God as your guiding light, then you'll never lose your way!

    If you, personally, are in a "good place" right now, then thank God for ALL the wonderful things He has done in your life. If you, personally, are in a "bad" or "difficult place," then thank God for ALL the wonderful things He will do through you beccause of the trials and tribulations you are currently enduring.

    Do you think this sounds a bit optimistic? Too perky? Surreal, even? Ok, then go back to the "1/2" empty perspective and always be thirsting for more.

    Look for God's blessings; they are everywhere!

    Gobble, gobble!

    ReplyDelete