Thanks for Showing Up!

I know that there are lots of important places on the web where you could be. This isn't one of the nicest or most thought provoking but it is a place where you can find balance in your daily life. So take some time away from a hectic world and spend some time adding stability to your day.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Getting Soft in My Old Age

Looking good while painting is more important than painting good
As you can imagine there has been a pretty good list of honey-do jobs to keep me busy this summer. Peggy started putting the list together about five years ago. Needless to say, the list is rather long. One of the items on the list was to paint the garage door. It still had the primer on it from when we moved to Logansport nine years ago. It was a good thing that the primer was close to the right color. LOL! It seemed like a nice day yesterday so I got the paint out to begin the project. Well, guess who wanted to help me??? There were these two little girls, paint brush in hand, with the idea that they could help dad do this job. Mind you, I was a contractor for fifteen years, my father expected the best from us, and painting was something that
could make or break a job. Everybody thinks that they can paint, but the proof is in the runs, smudges and missed areas that not everyone can paint.

Jenna is pretty intent on her work
Yes, Jessica is sticking her tongue out at me. She is just like momma.
Now, I am beginning to think that in the middle of the night an alien spacecraft landed on my roof, climbed into my window, entered my ear and and took control of my body. Because when the girls asked if they could paint I said yes. Mind you, I have NEVER let them paint on anything other than paper at the house. But for some reason I said yes. I told them how to hold the brush, how to dip their brush in the paint, to only wipe the brush on one side of the bowl and they didn't follow any of my directions. By the time the garage door was painted their hands, the bowls, their hair and the door were covered with paint. And you know what? We had a blast! Jessica and Jenna told me all about VBS, their friends and what they were thinking. We talked about Hawaii, Disney World and the beginning of school. And our time together was amazing.

I could spend some time looking for a biblical narrative to prove this point but I am pretty sure it is true even if it is not in the bible. Here are some words of wisdom for today, "The paint does not need to be perfect if you had a great time painting together." I think Solomon said something like that, and if he didn't it was because he didn't have a garage door that needed painted. Here is what I know. I know that I would not have painted the door the way it was painted. I know that I would not have had that much paint on me if I painted it. And I know that it would not have taken that long to clean the brushes if I had painted the door myself. But if I could do it differently, I would not. The joy of this day will live in my mind for years to come. Kids grow up fast and when I look at the garage door as I pull in the driveway it will remind me of a very special day.I love those little girls. Aaron

1 comment: